The Good Design exhibition program began as a partnership between the Museum of Modern Art in New York City and the Merchandise Mart in Chicago.
It was the first time that an art museum and a wholesale merchandising center joined forces to present “the best new examples in modern design in home furnishings.”
The program called for three shows a year: One during the Chicago winter furniture market in January, another coinciding with the June summer market, and a November show based on the previous two exhibitions.
Each year, a different prestigious designer was selected to curate the installation. Charles and Ray designed the 5,300-square-foot space for the inaugural installation in 1950, followed by Finn Juhl, Paul Rudolph, and Alexander Girard.