Herman Miller Showroom

EH_HMp010

1950

Immediately after the completion of the Eames House and the Entenza House in the Pacific Palisades, California, the Eames Office designed the new Herman Miller Los Angeles showroom. Much like the two Case Study Houses of 1949 and 1950, the showroom’s architecture featured a large expanse of glass held together in a geometric pattern by a steel frame. Coinciding with the introduction of the Eames Wire Chair, the Office staged the interiors to include the new Eames collection, new furniture from George Nelson, and fabrics by designer Alexander Girard.

Much like Eameses’ past installations, they surrounded the furniture with a variety of unexpected objects: a Mexican piñata, a wooden sculpture of a whale from the Pacific Northwest, a wall of seed packets purchased at a local nursery, shells, Indian kites and reels, desert flora, flowers, plants, and table accessories.

On one wall, the entire Herman Miller catalog was mounted page by page. The objective was to create an “attitude” for a home or office by the use of objects and images—instead of merely setting up a lifeless display for a kitchen or living area.

Today, Herman Miller’s Los Angeles Showroom has been relocated to a newer structure in Culver City. The Eames Office-designed building is still intact in terms of its facade and most structural features, but is currently endangered and slated for either redevelopment or demolition.

Click here for images and information about the Herman Miller Showroom interiors.

Historic

  • Herman Miller LA Showroom Interior

    1951
  • Herman Miller LA Showroom Interior

    1951
  • Herman Miller LA Showroom Interior

    1951
  • Herman Miller LA Showroom Interior

    1951