Eames Loose Cushion Armchair
The Eames Loose Cushion Arm Chair was introduced in 1972, just as the Museum of Modern Art was preparing the major exhibition “Charles Eames Furniture in the Collection of the Museum of Modern Art.” In this exhibition, the chair was praised for its technical sophistication and innovative manufacturing techniques.
Formed-in-place urethane foam padding was affixed to the large fiberglass shell of the Eames Loose Cushion Armchair, higher and deeper than the Eames Fiberglass Arm Shell of 1950, and covered with a woven fabric or a synthetic material. The foam was deep and firm enough that dents in the material slowly disappear because the urethane has a “memory” for its original contours.
The padding varies in thickness from 3/4″ to 3″, and the rolled edge of the shell suggests its mass. As in the upholstered side chair, a thick vinyl binding provides a strong outline, but in this case, it relates only marginally to the linear quality of the base, which is the shaped aluminum design called the Eames Universal base, which was by this time also used for the office’s Eames Aluminum Group and Eames Soft Pad Group, Executive and Shell chairs.