In 1942, medical officers serving in World War II combat zones reported the need for emergency transport splints. This prompted Charles and Ray to begin experimenting with a new type of device to transfer war patients with injuries to their lower extremities.
The Eameses created their splints from wood veneers, which they bonded together with a resin glue and shaped into compound curves using a process involving heat and pressure. The slats between the wood allowed medical workers to pass cloth through the split and secure the patient’s leg.
Each of these splints bears an ink stamp with the words “Eames Process.”